It’s Christmas Eve, which in some cultures I believe is actually the main day of gifting.So in that spirit, I’m slipping a special little something into your aural stocking. Forget about tomorrow’s books and sweets and alcohols, here’s a present you can unwrap right now – a playlist of my favourite songs of 2014 (in no particular order except the one I think sounds best).
Or, if you’re not into the whole Spotify thing, here’s the tracklist:
- Beyoncé – Drunk in Love (Kanye West Remix)
- Tinashe – 2 On
- CHVRCHES – Dead Air
- Hello Saferide – The Crawler
- Future Islands – Seasons (Waiting On You)
- Robyn – Tell You (Today)
- Run The Jewels – Oh My Darling Don’t Cry
- Rustie – Attak (feat. Danny Brown)
- Röyksopp & Robyn – Do It Again
- Kitty – Miss U
- How To Dress Well – Repeat Pleasure
- FKA twigs – Two Weeks
- Nancy Whang – I Was Made for Loving You – Extended Version
- Alvvays – Archie, Marry Me
- Zola Jesus – Dangerous Days
- Lykke Li – I Never Learn
- The-Dream – Wedding Bells
- Taylor Swift – Blank Space
It’s a pretty good overview of a year. As ever, I haven’t always been as engaged with the Hot New Music as I wanted, which I’m constantly being reminded as I pick through other people’s Best of 2014 lists – but there were at least a dozen songs I deeply loved this year, and that’s all I ever really need.
I’ll be going into depth on my absolute favourite of these tracks next week, but for now, happy listening, and merry Christmas!